What could possibly make your cupcakes more delicious I hear you ask....FILLINGS! For so long I have used different fillings for my cupcakes vs adding flavors to the buttercream because I found it would always change the consistency or color too much. So I found a couple of great recipes for freshly made lemon curd and salted caramel sauce that I wanted to share with you guys!
The first one is the lemon curd which I have been using for YEARS and it could honestly not be easier to make!
What you'll need:
- 75g butter
- 190 grams fine sugar
- 1 whole egg, whisk with an additional egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind + 1/2 cup lemon juice or the juice or a whole lemon
1. Place all ingredients in a medium sized saucepan and place over low heat to melt and stir until combined. Mix for approximately 5 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for a few minutes
3. using a fine metal strainer, strain curd into a mason jar or air tight container for best storage.
4. Refrigerate for a minimum of three hours before use, curd will thicken up! Store in the fridge for up to two hours.
NOW, let talk salted caramel. I LOVE this recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction so do yourself a favor and make it ASAP. Same with storage for this bad boy, mason jars work best in my opinion and you can store it in the fridge for up to a month.
This is the salted caramel I use to fill cupcakes, drizzle over the top of cupcakes or as a caramel drip on my cakes. I get asked A LOT about my caramel drip and it takes a few goes but the trick is having a REALLY cold cake and the caramel at just the right temperate so it drips far enough but not too far.